WHAT'S TRENDING

"Almond milk please, hold the almonds!"

May 17, 2016

 

 

After hearing about the dangers of drinking cows milk and the fact that it was never God's design for us to consume any animal products or any derivatives of the animal, we were comforted to know that there was an alternative-Soy or Almond Milk. These alternative sources of calcium and protein are result of soaking the soy bean or almond nut in water and the nutrients are then extracted from the bean or nut and used for milk.

 

One of the many companies who have transitioned into providing these alternative milk options is, Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze. You may have even purchased this brand as I have and attributed the "dirty water" taste to the purity of the almonds being used. Sadly, that is not the case. Blue Diamond has been sued for not including no more that 2% of almonds in their product. Yes, 2% ! For those, like me, who need a visual representation of this content to solidify the understanding, please take a look below. I'll give you a moment to increase your screen size so you're able to properly see the almond content.

 

 

 

Did you see it?, barely! So, what we see here (or not see) is that Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze, essentially has no almond content. I went further and actually went into the store to personally witness the misleading verbiage and graphics used on Almond Breeze's packaging. Here are my findings.

 

Consumer Deception #1: Ingredients on any product are typically listed in the order of content used from greatest to least greatest. Almond milk, which is explained in parenthesis as being filtered water and almonds is the first ingredient on the package. From what we've just learned, this is not true. Let's give Blue Diamond the benefit of the doubt and assume that the almond is in fact the largest quantity in the product as listed. Then what percentage of the other items are in this product? We do not know, but what we do know is that it is less than 2% and that now leads to a abnormal to nonexistent amount of nutrients unfit for consumption. Some of the other ingredients are also harmful, but we will discuss those in another issue.

 

Consumer Deception #2: "All Natural" This product is far from natural, containing 2% of the only natural product in it and the remaining being 98% fillers. The name, Almond Breeze itself is deceptive.

 

Consumer Deception #3: The handful of almonds pictured on the carton is not the amount of almonds that are used to produce this product. If so (once again, giving Blue Diamond the benefit of doubt), then it is per case of maybe 24 cartons, then that would probably equal the 2% per carton.

 

This is saddening to say the least, that a company would profit from consumers who make the conscious decision to eat healthy. Don't worry though, here's an easy recipe for you to make your own almond milk, that way you know it actually has almonds and you control its contents!

 

 

Feeney, N. (2015, July 29). Lawsuit Claims Almond Milk Brand Doesn't Have Enough Almonds. Retrieved May, 2016, from                                                  http://time.com/3967752/almond-milk-lawsuit/

 

Popular Almond Milk Co. Sued for Containing Almost No Almonds. (2016). Retrieved May,2016, from http://www.realfarmacy.com/no-almonds/?utm_source=takepart.com

 

Scipioni, J. (2015, August 18). Drink Almond Milk? You Need to Read This. Retrieved May,      2016, from http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2015/08/18/drink-almond-milk-need- to-read-this.html

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Changing Times and Laws through Participatory Democracy

October 19, 2018

1/5
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive